AK SURGERY CENTER, LLC
STATEMENT OF PATIENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We have adopted the following written policies concerning the rights and responsibilities of all patients:
- Patients have the right to be treated with dignity and respect at all times.
- Patients have the right to be protected from discrimination or reprisals in the exercise of their rights; discrimination is against the law. In conformance with anti-discrimination laws and regulations patients may not be denied benefits, or otherwise be discriminated against on the ground of race, color, or national origin, or on the basis of disability or age in admission to, participation in, or receipt of the services and benefits under any of our programs and activities. In accordance with the provisions of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and Regulations of the US Department of Health and Human Services issued pursuant to these statutes at Title 45 Code of Federal Regulations Parts 80. 84, and 91.
- Patients have the right to personal privacy and to privacy concerning their own medical care; patients expect that all communications, health information, and records pertaining to their care will be treated as confidential. Case discussion, consultation, examination and treatment are confidential and will be conducted discreetly. Staff not directly involved in the patient’s care will not be present without the permission of the patient.
- Patients have the right to be fully informed about a treatment or procedure and the expected outcome before it is performed, and to actively participate in decisions regarding medical care and to refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law.
- Patients have the right to receive information about all treatment choices and options in clear language which is understandable to the patient. Such patient information will e sufficient to allow the patient to give informed consent prior to any procedure or treatment. The patient has the right to ask family members and friends to help in decision making.
- Patients have the right to leave the facility, even against medical advice.
- Patients have the right to examine and receive an explanation of their bill regardless of source of payment. They also have the right to know fees for specific services.
- Patients have the right to know what rules and regulations apply to their conduct as a patient and to know provisions for after-hours and emergency care.
- Patients have the right to receive care in a safe setting, free from all forms of abuse of harassment.
- Patients have the right to voice grievances or suggestions regarding care that is (or fails to be) furnished verbally or in writing; a grievance form is available from any staff member or the patient may ask to speak directly to the Administrator. Grievances will be addressed, in writing, within one week.
Patient rights will be extended to a person appointed under State law to act on the patient’s behalf.
While we at AK Surgery Center, LLC respect patient rights regarding advance directives, the philosophy of our organization is to provide comprehensive resuscitative care to every patient. We will file a copy of a patient’s existing advance directive, upon request, and document such action in a prominent and uniform location in our patient record. We will also provide information to our patients regarding advance directives, if requested to do so.
We credential all providers in this organization and we strive to provide the best possible care. However, the care a patient receives also depends on the patient; therefore, in addition to these rights we have granted above, each patient has certain responsibilities. These responsibilities are outlined below in the spirit of mutual trust and respect.
- The patient has the responsibility to provide accurate and complete information concerning his/her present complaints, allergies and sensitivities, past medical history, and other matters relating to his/her health, including the use of any medications, over the counter products, dietary supplements, and other chemical substances.
- The patient is responsible for making it known whether he/her clearly comprehends the course of his/her medical treatment and what is expected of him/her.
- The patient is responsible for following the treatment plan established by his/her physician, including the instructions of nurses and other health professionals, as they carry out the physician’s orders.
- The patient is responsible to provide a responsible adult to provide transport and to act as a caregiver for 24 hours, if required by the physician.
- The patient is responsible for keeping appointments and for notifying this organization when unable to do so.
- The patient is responsible for his/her actions should he/she refuse treatment or not follow medical advice.
- The patient is responsible for assuring that the financial obligations of his/her care are fulfilled as promptly as possible.
- The patient is responsible for following facility policies and procedures and for notifying the facility regarding any living wills or advance directives which may affect his/her care.
- The patient is responsible for being considerate of the rights of other patients and our personnel.
- The patient is responsible for being respectful of his/her personal property and that of other person in the facility.
Patient rights and responsibilities apply also to the person who may have legal responsibility to make decisions regarding medical care on behalf of the patient.
AK Surgery Center, LLC is wholly owned by Andrew Stein MD; the Administrator Karen Stein may be contacted for any questions relating to these rights and responsibilities (phone 510-297-0550). Our patients have the right to express complaints or grievances. Patients may also contact:
- the Medical Board of California (916-263-2652)
- the State Department of Health Services (916-341-6845)
- our accrediting organization: AAAHC (847-853-6060)