Dr. Orrin Franko’s Philosophy
- Patients are Partners. I believe that patients play a critical role in determining their treatment. All patients receive a thorough evaluation that includes learning about your injury, as well as your personal interests, occupation, hobbies, and lifestyle – factors that influence selecting an individualized treatment plan.
- I treat Patients, not Xrays. While imaging, such as xrays, CT scans, and MRIs have the ability to help identify problems and sources of pain, I focus on addressing each patient’s concerns and fears. Treatment will be focused on you, not your test results.
- Not all Patients require Surgery. Sometimes the best treatment is not surgery. As my mentor Peter Stern says, “When a surgeon tells you not to have surgery, there’s a message.” I always consider the side effects and complications of surgery, and any recommendation for surgical treatment involves a careful consideration of both the risks and benefits.
My Practice and Hospital Affiliations
- A board-eligible orthopedic surgeon with a sub-specialty in complex hand and upper extremity surgery
- East Bay Hand Medical Center
- Sutter Health – Eden Medical Center
- San Leandro Hospital
- Arthritis of the hand and wrist, including joint replacement (arthroplasty) and fusion (arthrodesis)
- Tendonitis of the hand, wrist, and elbow such as trigger finger, DeQuervain, and tennis elbow
- Nerve conditions including carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome
- Complete trauma of the hand and wrist including fractures, dislocations, and nerve/tendon/ligament injuries